28 May 1884, Wednesday

We have made up our minds again to go to York State if we can get any one to stay here and see to things. I went down to the Central Depot to see what the fare is. It will cost us about $125 for the tickets. We want to start a week from today if possible, but don’t know how it will be. It will be a big trip, but we have earned a play spell if it does cost a good deal of money. I think we will go sure.

30 May 1884, Friday

We are getting ready for our journey east. We want to start next Wednesday. 3 June 1884, Tuesday I went to the depot to see about the tickets. I can get them for $20.50 each by the Grand Haven route. I think we will go that way.

4 June 1884, Wednesday

We started about noon from Mason City.

7 June 1884, Saturday

We started from Schenectady this morning and got off at Amsterdam. I left Lott in the depot and went up town, and the first man I saw that I know was Crowe. He was standing on the street with some men. I went up to him and put out my hand, but he did not know me till I told him who I was. Then we went to the depot and got Lott and went up to the house. Mrs. Crowe did not know me either. She would hardly believe that it was us. We staid there to dinner and then Crowe sent us up to West Galway with a livery. We met Mark Crowe going over the Knotch, but he did not know me at all. He went back with us, and I went after some water. Sate got water for me and I talked with her, but she did not tumble at all as to who we were. Mark came in and told her. Mark and I took a ride after supper. We went and looked at his mill. He is the same old chap that we knew. Staying at Sate and Mark’s tonight.

[The Crowes in Amsterdam may have been Mark Crowe's parents, Patrick and Mary. Sate is Scott's sister, Sarah E. Whitman, wife of Mark or Marcus B. Crowe.]

8 June 1884, Sunday

Mark and I have been walking around and visiting all day. Went up to the Knotch three times. There is a good deal of travel past here to Galway Corners. I like it very much. The farmers seem to be doing well. Mark wants me to come and buy half of his mill, but I don’t like the idea very well. He is not doing much now, but he says that it will start up in about two months and be brisk until spring. There is lots of buckwheat raised here, and it is ground before they sell it, and this mill gets the most of it for miles around.

9 June 1884, Monday

We have been busy visiting all day. Mark and I went up to the Knotch two times today, and we are a little weary tonight. Mark worked at the mill some today. We took a ride and put in the day very pleasantly. It rained a little here today, and it helps the crops greatly. We intend to start for Wellstown tomorrow if nothing happens to hinder us. Sate is going to take us as far as Northville and then we will go up on the stage Wednesday morning. We will come back here again and go from here to Albany and then back home.

10 June 1884, Tuesday

A little wet. Mark and I hunted around this morning to find a rig to take us north but we could not find any. Mark wanted to come with us but had to give it up so Sate brought us up here with one horse. We did not start till after dinner and got here at 6 o’clock. We are at Winnie’s tonight. We stopped at Nash Dunham’s and left some money that Corneil sent by me. They knew us. Nash looks about the same but his wife looks old. Uncle Whitman and his wife are boarding at the Ash house. I went down to Nell’s but he was at church, so I came back up the street and saw Albert Smith and George Howland. They did not know me. Albert looks just the same, but George is grey. I went down and found the Captain (Whitman). He stood in the doorway when I went in and he did not know me till I told him. I saw his wife. He looks just as he used to only a little more grey. I saw Doctor Blake, and he looks very old indeed..

[Corneil is Scott’s brother-in-law, Corneilius H. Russell, married to Minerva Jane Whitman. They were originally from Wells but then lived in Iowa near the rest of the family. Corneilius Russell served as 5th Seargent, Company F, 97th Regiment, NY during the Civil War. Uncle Whitman is Nelson Whitman, son of Isaiah and Sarah (Turner) Whitman. He was a Methodist minister and had served as a chaplain, Captain, Company F, 21st Wisconsin Volunteers, during the Civil War. He had recently married, about 1873, a widow named Brooker. They later had a daughter.]

11 June 1884, Wednesday

Here we are back in old Wellstown after 12 years, and it looks queer. I would hardly know it. Uncle Nellson brought us up with his horse from Northville. We started after dinner. We went down and took dinner with him. Sate went with us. We started soon after dinner. Sate was going to start home shortly after. She hated to see us leave her. We are staying at Dan Cockran’s tonight. Went over to Fry’s awhile this evening. Aunt Louise has been very sick but is better. She sits up some. I have seen lots of old fellows. They look very good and it brings back memories of my youth. I stopped at Pat Mitchell’s and had to take a drink, of course. Pat looks like a woodchuck. I saw John Walcock and Capt. Peck and lots of others, and each told of their lives. Dan and Martha have not changed much. Martha looks younger, if anything. All well tonight, and we are surely having a grand time. Lott has seen many of the Simons, and I’m sure she is enjoying it as much as I am.

[Aunt Louise is the sister of Rose Whitman, Scott’s father. She married William H. Fry, who was County Clerk for many years and also served later as a County Judge.]

12 June 1884, Thursday

We are staying at Than Wager’s tonight. We stayed at Dan Cockran’s till after dinner, and Uncle Nellson brought us up here. Pickleville has changed very much. I could hardly make it seem real to me. Than is in the woods peeling bark for Nash Craig. I went down to the river and caught 2 trouts. The boys had been fishing so we had a good trout supper, and it seemed like old times, I tell you. It seems good to be back here. I would come back to live but for all there is here. The people are so friendly, but I am hooked on a more flat land. The West, with its opportunities, is better for me. Fry is keeping store and so is Hiram Babcock. There are lots of stores here.

[Than Wager is Nathaniel Wager, son of Michael and Mary Wager, who appear in the census at Wells in 1820, 1830 and 1840. Nathaniel and a brother, Levi, appear with them in the 1850 census. He is Lott’s brother-in-law, married to her sister, Eliza Simons.]

13 June 1884, Friday

I am staying at Fry’s and Lott is up to Wager’s tonight. I started to come down this morning and met Uncle Nellson and many Whitmans on the way up to General Craig’s. I got in and went up with them. We met the General just above Hamley’s tannery. He is very feeble and has lost his mind entirely. We could not make him know us at all. We went up to see Aunt Lucy. She is very, very old, but her mind is clear yet. She knew us all. We talked with her awhile and then went across the road to see Frank Peck. We came back, and I went over with Maney and staid till after supper with them. Uncle Nellson went back up to Northville after dinner. Aunt Phebe looks well. She has not grown old at all. I had a good visit with her. She is a good woman.

[General Craig and Aunt Lucy are probably Washington and Lucy (Morrison) Craig. He was born about 1794 so would have been 90 years old at this time. The title of "General" is undoubtedly an honorary one. His pension claim from the War of 1812 appears elsewhere on this website. A son of this couple, Moses Henry Craig, was married to Emily Bentley, a sister of Scott’s mother, Ellen Bentley. Maney and Aunt Phebe are husband and wife. She is Scott’s aunt, sister of his father, Rose Whitman. She was the widow of Deodatus Washburn, and Maney is her second husband. She had two children from her first marriage, Kate and William Washburn. Maney is Scott’s first cousin, once removed. His full name is Emanuel Whitman, son of Zebulon and Betsey (Craig) Whitman. Maney and Phebe had no children.]

14 June 1884, Saturday

We are up at Than Wager’s tonight. I staid down to Fry’s till about night visiting with them. I saw a good many old acquaintances and we talked long. I saw Nellson Pelcher. He looks about the same as he used to. Dan Cockran is doing a good business. They sold 40 dinners and must have sold $5.00 worth of whiskey, and he keeps a livery also. He is making money fast, but I don’t think the stores are doing so well. There are too many of them for the number of people. I walked up here after supper, and found the old man Simons here from Albany. Than was out from the woods also. He looks well.

[The old man Simons is Lott’s father, George Simons. During this period he apparently lived among his children. He had at least two sons and a daughter living in Albany, George M., Charles, and Helen (Mrs. John Porter).]

15 June 1884, Sunday

We are both at Wager’s tonight yet. We have been here all day. Lott and I went up to the old place where she used to live. The old house is all fallen down and it looks dreary. I went down to Pickleville tonight to go to church but did not go after all. John Gillman was there, and he wanted us to go over and see his wife. She has been sick a long time. Staid there till about 10 o’clock and then walked back up here. It is quite a walk both ways. Lott’s father is bunged up quite bad. He got hurt in the side driving the team to Albany. There is lots of sickness here. I am homesick. I don’t want to live here. It is too settled a country surely. Than went back to the woods tonight. I and the boys made a foot bridge across the river. We are going over to Wash Craig’s tomorrow if all is well with us.

[This Wash Craig is probably Washington Craig (1839-1908) who was the son of Aaron and Sarah (Van Derhoof) Craig. Wash’s wife was Margaret Simons (1839-1911) and presumably somehow related to Lott.]

16 June 1884, Monday

We are at Wager’s again tonight. We have been over to Wash Craig’s all day. Went over on the footbridge I made last night. We found Wash at home. We talked and visited until after dinner, and then Wash hitched up and we took a ride up to Griffin. It is where Moon’s Mill used to be. There is a big tannery there now and about 40 houses and two stores. It’s a busy place. I tried to get me a pair of boots but could not fit myself. We came back to Wash’s to supper and then came back across the river again. Wash’s girl came over with us. I caught a line of trout this morning, and the boys caught enough to make a mess for breakfast which was good.

17 June 1884, Tuesday

We are at Nellson Pelcher’s tonight. We walked down and was it a job to carry the babe and fearful hot also. We met Rachel going to Pickleville and she came back with us. We found Nellson at home, and we have put in a busy day visiting and talking over old times. Billy Henderson came along selling meat, and he had some lager with him. He is some old Billy. Nells and I went over to the pit after supper, and I got a pair of shoes for myself. We came back shortly and sat up and talked till about 11 o’clock. It is fearful hot weather here now, 100 in the shade and no air. Nelse has the western fever very badly. He says that he will surely go as soon as he can sell what he has here. I think he will.

[The babe is Scott and Lott’s daughter, Myrtle May Whitman, born 27 March 1883, the only one of their children brought along on the trip.]

18 June 1884, Wednesday

We are staying at Maney Whitman’s tonight. Nelse had to go over on the Mag Fisher place to shear his sheep this forenoon, and I went with him. We stopped and got Jim Weaver to help him. I went over to Jim Rooney’s and talked with them awhile. I went in and Betty was churning and Ella sat talking to her. She did not know me. Jim was out hauling in buckwheat. He came in soon. He did not know me either. We talked awhile about old times. They wanted me to stay to dinner, but I did not. Old Jim is poor. He has lost all his money. It’s too bad, but so it goes. I came back where Nelse and Jim were at work, and we started for home about 1 o’clock. We staid there till after supper and had hard work to get away. Then Rachel came a piece with us. Nelse is as good-hearted a boy as ever lived in this world. Maney was lacing on the stoop when we came.

19 June 1884, Thursday

We are staying at Maney’s yet tonight. I went over the river this morning and staid all day. Was at Fry’s to dinner. Fry is up to the lake tending court. I had a good visit with the boys over around the pit. I came back about sunset. It rained a little tonight. Fearfully hot, 100 every day this week. It’s worse than the West, I think. I am enjoying myself very much. The babe is not very well. Lott is a little homesick, but it will wear off, I think. Maney is hauling his corn and sowing buckwheat. The crop will be poor here this year. The frost hurt everything. No hay to speak of and no fruit or berries. The beach trees are as red as they are in the winter, and I think they will die. It was a fearful frost in April.

20 June 1884, Friday

We are staying at Fry’s tonight. I and Maney walked all around his farm this morning. He has a fine sugar bush. It is fixed in good shape for making sugar. We went down in his swamp and all over the place. He has the best farm in Wellstown and he farms it good. Aunt Phebe and Rachel Phebe walked over with us when we came home. Aunt Phebe staid to supper. Fry came home from the lake tonight but is going back in the morning. It will take most of the week yet at the courthouse, he thinks. Sate Bass’ boy is here tonight also. He is a preacher and a big tall cuss. Nuton Carr was over to Maney’s today. All well here, thank God.

[Sate (Sarah) Bass might be Sarah Whitman who married a Bass. She would be Scott’s aunt, the sister of Rose Whitman. We have names for four of Sarah (Whitman) Bass’ children: Charles I., Sarah, Hallie, and George.]

21 June 1884, Saturday

Lott is up to Wager’s, and I am staying at Dan Cockran’s with Billy Ryan tonight. I got Fry’s horse and took Lott up to her sister, Helen. She is up from Albany. When I got back I found Billy here. So we had quite a visit together. It has been a fearful hot day, 100 in the shade. Billy and I are in the same room that Baxley was in the night we were going to send him up to Glory. Billy said, "Do you suppose he will appear to us tonight?" The old house looks just as it did years ago. But it is going to rack very fast outside. They don’t keep it in repair. Billy and I had a good visit, and it seems like old times to be with him here. It has been a long time, 14 years.

22 June 1884, Sunday

I am staying at Dan Cockran’s again tonight. Billy and I have been walking around visiting all day. We went over to Em Taylor’s this morning. She is married to Nuton Carr now. We staid there and talked with them about an hour and then walked till noon. Then we went down to the tannery and went all through it. It’s about twice as large as it used to be and in first-class order, but they are not doing much there now. I don’t believe they ever will again. Bark is scarce. Billy started back in the woods about 4 o’clock, and I have been about here since. There were some fellows here from Griffin’s tonight, and they were drunk. It was late when they left. They drink here Sundays and all.

23 June 1884, Monday

I am staying at Fry’s tonight, and Lott is up to Wager’s. I took a walk up in the old pasture this forenoon and through the graveyard. I found a good many there that were alive when we left here. The yard is in bad shape indeed, and it’s about full, and they will have to get more land soon. Old Judd died last night about 2 o’clock. He has been sick a long time. I don’t know when the funeral will be. I am getting homesick a little. I got a letter from Corneil and Jane today. They are all well and want us to have a good time and lots of fun. I have seen quite a good many today of the old friends that were here when we lived here. Some of them knew me and some did not. I can tell most of them but they have changed very much. The young ones more than those of about my age, but such is life and then comes the "greater change of all."

[The graveyard was originally part of Isaiah and Hannah (Platt) Whitman’s farm on the banks of the Sacandaga River.]

24 June 1884, Tuesday

I am staying at Pete McGinis’ tonight. There is a lot of us here on a little time, John Babcock, Jim Mitchell, Jim Donlon and two or three others. We are fooling around quite a bit. Lott is up at Than Wager’s yet. I went to Judd’s funeral today. There were not many out. It rained quite hard while we were in the church and at the grave. I came back and changed my clothes and went over to Hiram Babcock’s and John came along, and we came over here and are here yet. It’s the worst country I every saw for fooling and drinking whiskey. I want to get out of it as soon as possible. I think they are all being very sociable to me. I am going up after Lott tomorrow, and we will get around as soon as we can while our names and credit are both good.

25 June 1884, Wednesday

We are at John Simons’ tonight (Lott’s brother). I got Fry’s horse and buggy and went up after Lott and took her down, then went and helped Pete McGinis make a bench in his saloon. It rained quite hard again today but is clear tonight. John Simons has a house full of young-ones and he is a cuss, you bet. Had them wrestling, and it was fun and a good circus. He lives in the huddle in the old Pat Conlin house. The old houses are about all gone to rack and tumbled down in the huddle now. There is not many around the tannery now, and it doesn’t look as it did 20 years ago when I was a boy. Time changes things as well as men. I wish I could be put back 20 years. I would make a different track through life, you bet.

26 June 1884, Thursday

We are staying at Willie Ronald’s tonight. I stayed down to John Simons’ till after breakfast and came up and got Fry’s rig and brought Lott here and we have been visiting Willie and Ella since. Willie and I took a ride around the block tonight and when we got back Ella and Lott were gone down to Fry’s. Willie has a fine house and is keeping a furniture store. Willie has a pretty good stock on hand. He says that he sells a good deal. Carl Fry just came up to get me to come down and stay with him in the store tonight. Willie and his father went to Northville and took the keys through a mistake and Carl can’t lock the store.

[Carl Fry is Scott’s cousin, the son of William and Louisa (Whitman) Fry. They also had a son William and a daughter Nellie.]

27 June 1884, Friday

Lott is up to John Gillman’s, and I am at Pete McGinis’ tonight. Willie Ronald took her up this morning, and I have been hanging around here all day. Lott’s sister went back to Albany today. She got a letter that John Porter was sick and wanted her to come. Charles Simons was with her. Dan Cockran took them down to Northville. They are mustering in a Grand Army Post at the Adirondac House tonight, and there is a big crowd around. I saw Trun Washburn and Cuff Call tonight. Fry has gone to Albany after a bill of clothing for the Fourth of July. I am sick tonight and a little homesick.

28 June 1884, Saturday

We are at Than Wager’s again tonight. The old man Simons came along this morning, and I went up to Gillman’s where Lott was. Lott and I got a ride up with Miron Early. I staid around Pickleville a while and then went down to the hardware store and left my watch to be fixed. Went down to Fry’s to dinner and supper. Fry got home with his clothing about 4 o’clock. He got a lot of it. I started to come up here about sunset. Patsey Crowe walked up to Pickleville with me. I stopped and got my watch. It was fixed up good. I stopped at Burnham’s and sent a letter to Mark to come up after us next week. Than was out of the woods when I got there. I have a very sore throat tonight.

29 June 1884, Sunday

We are up on the old David Duning place staying with Billy Ryan tonight. We came up over the mountains afoot. Than came about half way with us. We were about played out when we got here. Lott doesn’t like the woods very well. We got into a bark peeling and had the devil’s own time getting along, and it was fearfully hot too. It came near bushing us. We found Billy and went over to the old Elias Gillman place after dinner. Cuff Call lives there now. He and Mary Pettit, and they have the devil’s own time getting along together. We went down to the mill and then came home. Went bullheading tonight awhile but no luck.

30 June 1884, Monday

We are staying at Andrew Deming’s tonight. We started from Billy Ryan’s this morning. about 8 o’clock. Billy came out to the road with us. We stopped at Heps awhile, and Jim Ronald came along, and we rode down to here with him. Mary Pettit Call was with him. I staid around the mill, looking it over, till after dinner and then went down to Pickleville and wrote a letter to Father and mailed it. Then I went down to Pettit’s. Hugh Mitchell was there with his shoulder out of joint. He fell out of a wagon. I went over to McGan’s office and helped them pull it back in its place. It was a hard job, I tell you. Hugh was badly used up. I got supper at Petit’s and came back here. Andrew has been up west of the river all day but was home when I got there. We have had a good visit this evening. Jay Somerville is working for Andrew now.

1 July 1884, Tuesday

Lott is up to Wager’s, and I am staying at Pete McGinis’ tonight. I came down with Andrew this morning to the old Harriet Brown place. He owns it now. Andrew came down to put in some buckwheat. I went down on the flat with him and then came down here and have been here all day. Got to fooling with the boys some and am here yet. We have had a good little time this evening. George, Andrew’s nephew, was here. He represents George in good shape. We are singing and telling some stories and a little whiskey to add to the fun. Ben Pettit and Billy Ronald were here a while and Hank Gallup, of course. Bill Ronald sang us some good songs.

2 July 1884, Wednesday

Lott is up to Wager’s yet, and I am staying at Pete McGinis’ again tonight. I intended to go up after her but could not get a wagon to bring the trunk down with, so I put it off till tomorrow. I went over and ate dinner with Dan Cockran and supper at Jim Mitchell’s. Went to Hanley’s tannery with Pete after supper. I called on Mr. and Mrs. Hanley. They look natural. Robert Ostrander rode down with us to his place. John Babcock sent up after some tools to fix Pete’s porch. They were up at the tannery. We have had a nice little time tonight. Willie Ronald was down with his accordion and played for us a while. He is a first-class player.

3 July 1884, Thursday

We are both staying at Jim Mitchell’s tonight. I have been bumming around the pit all day. I got Mitchell’s horse and wagon and went after Lott this evening. Jim and I have been visiting all the evening. They are very clever people indeed. We went over and visited with Dan Cockran till after midnight. Jim says he is coming out West this fall and will come and see me sure. Jim Kennon is around and just the same as ever. Just as quiet as he can be when he comes out of the woods. We have been playing pedro all day.

4 July 1884, Friday

We are staying at Fry’s tonight. Came over from Mitchell’s about 10 o’clock. This has been a dull Fourth here. But is more lively tonight. There is a dance at Dan Cockran’s, and there is quite a crowd around. It has rained since 5 o’clock hard. Aunt Phebe has been here all day visiting with us. Fry has just taken her home. I went to the dance a while but did not stay long. They are whooping it up in great shape. I wanted to dance a little but was afraid to get started. I might leave a bad impression with my relatives and close friends. But I do like the music and singing. I went up to Wager’s for the trunks this afternoon. We are to start in the morning for Mark’s. He is to meet us at Northville and so this is the last night in Old Wells. I may never see it again. Many good friends and old relatives of yore. Good-by and may God be with you till we meet again.

5 July 1884, Saturday

We are back at Mark’s again. All well. We got up early this morning and bid them all Goodbye and got on the stage about 8 o’clock and got to Northville to dinner. Mark and Sate were there eating dinner at Winnie’s. We had to wait there a while because it rained. We stopped at the fish-house and got some lemonade and got here before dark. I felt very bad when I came to leave old Wells. It is probably the last time I will ever see it. Only God knows. There are so many good people there, and I hated to part with them but had to leave some time. Mark and I went to hunt up Uncle Nells in Northville but could not find him. Mark went straight to the Knotch and is there yet. Sate is sick tonight. We are well.

6 July 1884, Sunday

We are at Mark’s, and all are well. The babe was quite sick this morning but better now. Mark and I took a ride over to Galway’s corner today to show me the house where William Wells lived after he left Wellstown the time that father bought him out. He had a fine place, but I suppose he had to sell. Galway is quite a little town, and it is a fine country around it. I expect the land is very high there. The crops look good. Hay is very good also. I think I would like to live here very well if I could make a living, but I think that would be doubtful. We got home about 3 o’clock and have been visiting since. We had some milkfinch and quite a good little get-together tonight. We sat up till after one o’clock and are going to bed.

7 July 1884, Monday

Still at Mark and Sate’s tonight. Mark and I went up to the corner this morning to get some things and then Mark had to go up on the Johnstone road about two miles to take some flour. We got another wagon when we came back, then went to Amsterdam after Mark’s girls. We got there at 1 o’clock and put the horses up and went and got some oysters. Went to Crowe’s house to tell the girls to get ready. We talked with them awhile. Sarah and Mary were at home. Sarah looks old. We started for home about 4 o’clock and made two stops and got home about 6 o’clock. I went over to the Knotch and found a letter from father.

8 July 1884, Tuesday

Still at Mark’s and all as well as usual. I have been walking around all day, looking the mill over. It has rained a good deal today. Mark and I went over to the Knotch about 5 o’clock to get the mail and some plug tobacco. Mark sent Bailey to Amsterdam for a load of corn I have quite a notion that I would like to live here. I can buy out half of the mill for $4,000. I think it could run to make it pay well. It is in first-class order, and Steward wants to sell his half. I may buy it yet, who knows.

9 July 1884, Wednesday

All well here, I believe. Mark and I went over to the Knotch this morning a while, and after dinner I took Sate and Lott up to the dressmaker. I drove over to the Knotch when I came back after Mark. There were some fellows there, and I could not get Mark to come home so we staid there till ll o’clock.

10 July 1883, Thursday

Still at Mark’s, and I have not had the best of health today but am improving. I have been around the mill most of the day. They have been quite busy there today. Mark and I have been over to the Knotch two or three times today. I came back and left Mark there this evening, but he came in soon after. It’s about as bad here for drinking as in Wellstown. We went up to Tom Flynn’s this evening. It’s about a mile from here. Mark went to get him to cultivate his garden, but he was not at home. Lott and Sate went to church this evening. Mark and I stayed at home.

11 July 1884, Friday

Still at Mark’s. Mark and I rode over to the Knotch this morning with Tom Flynn. He came down early and cultivated out Mark’s garden, and then we went over to the Knotch. I met a man that Corneil and I used to buy oats from when we kept the hotel. He has been out to Ida Grove, Iowa, this spring but he is here now. We came home about l o’clock.

12 July 1884, Saturday

At Mark’s yet and all are well. We are getting for home. We shall go Monday if we can get away. I have been over to the mill and Knotch two or three times. I want to get away from here, and I hate to leave Sate but will have to, I expect. She has about given up on coming back with us..

13 July 1884, Sunday

At Mark’s still. I have been reading and writing and walking all day. We went up to see Bailey after supper to get him to take us to the depot at Amsterdam tomorrow, but he could not go till Tuesday. Tom Flynn was with me, and he wanted me to take a ride with him. We went down to Hagerman’s and staid there till late.

14 July 1884, Monday

Still at Mark’s and this is the last night here for us, and it makes me feel very badly to think of it. Mark and I went to the Knotch this afternoon, and I saw Bailey, and he will take us up to Amsterdam in the morning and then we go. Sate is going down to Amsterdam with us. She feels very badly and so do I. We have had a wonderful time and Lott and I will remember this trip for a long time to come.

15 July 1884, Tuesday

Sate got up about day light and got us a lunch packed, and Bailey came about 6 o’clock. Mark rode to the Knotch with us, and we had a parting drink. Went over to the West Shore and bought our tickets. They cost $57.00. We started back to Iowa. We left Sate in the depot crying as if her heart would break. We felt very bad ourselves.

17 July 1884, Thursday

Home again safe and sound and it seems good, I tell you.


Return to Introduction Page

Last Updated: Wednesday, 14-May-2008 13:37:26 PDT
Copyright © 2000: Joyce Cummings