The Death of James Frank Fuller of Wells

Generously donated by Harry Buyce!

The following information was compiled from "A Brief History of the Nineteenth Century Hamilton County, New York Families Morrison, Buyce & Gallup; An Unpublished Work," by Harry E. Buyce, copyright April 2000.

Posted with express permission of the author.  This work may not be copied in part or whole for publication or internet posting without the express permission of the author. All rights reserved.

Obituary of James Frank Fuller
Adirondack Herald, April 1919


    The search in Jessups River for the body of James Frank Fuller came to a close on Sunday about noon when Charles Harrington of Johnsburg came upon it above Jessups River Falls, about eight rods from where he was last seen at work.  The water was considerably lower than it had been, and as Mr. Harrington glanced in, he noticed a tobacco can which upon investigation he found protruded from Fuller's pocket.

    As briefly stated in the previous issue, James Frank Fuller went to work on the log drive on Jessups River, leaving his home at Wells on Monday.  On Wednesday, the 9th, he was at work as usual, he and Alfred Simonds were working together at a jam and it appeared as tho' the obstruction was on the opposite side, so Fuller remarked that he'd go across and loosen the jam.  It was about four o'clock when he left Simonds.  Men stationed lower soon had a swift run of logs due to Fuller's efforts.  Mr. Simonds became occupied with his work.  Nearly two hours later the logs became obstructed again, and after waiting a while the men decided to ascertain the cause of the delay and were surprised that Mr. Fuller was not there.  They began breaking the jam and then the pike pole which Fuller had been using came into view and fear was felt for the safety of the young workman.  They began searching immediately but the mother was not notified until the next morning.

    Every effort was made to find the remains of the unfortunate young man but continued rain and high water made the task a difficult one.  The dam which had been closed, gave away on Saturday, increasing the difficulty.  When Mr. Harrington discovered the body, it was more than half covered with sand, face down.  Had it not been for the bright colored tobacco can, it might very easily have been overlooked and in a very short time would have been entirely covered.  There were no marks upon the body to indicate any particular accident and as no one was present, it will never be known just what happened.

    James Frank Fuller was the youngest son of Mrs. Belle Fuller, now the wife of Thomas Girard.  He would have been twenty two years of age in May.  He cheerfully responded to the draft and September 7, 1918 he entered Camp Dix.  His brother William was also there, and they were drawn into even a closer comradery.  He was transferred to Camp Meigs, D. C., November 7th, and again transferred on December 19th to Roland Park, Baltimore.  During this time he was promoted from "Private" to "Sergeant" and was honorably discharged the 3rd day of April.

    He had been at home only two days when he went to work on the river where he met death.  A young man of good habits, physically perfect, with a happy, fun-loving disposition, he was universally liked.  And everywhere were heard expressions of sincere regret and awe at his untimely passing.

    He is deeply mourned by his mother and two brothers, George H. and William I. Fuller.

    The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon in the Methodist church and was largely attended.  Rev. TenBroeck of Northville officiated.  The funeral was military in aspect.  Six men returned from service, in uniform, were bearers.  The deceased was clothed in his uniform.  Interment was made in the local cemetery.

Biographical Data


Last Updated: Wednesday, 14-May-2008 13:18:37 PDT
Copyright © 2001:  Harry Buyce
P.O. Box 32
Mayfield, NY  12117