History of the town of Gilman

Note:  This township was absolved on 6 Apr 1860!

1841 History

The following is taken from "Historical Collections of the State of New York," by John W. Barber and Henry Howe New York: Published for the Authors by S. Tuttle, 194 Chatham Square, 1841 - Transcribed by Martha Magill

GILMAN was erected in 1839, from Wells. It is about  37 miles long, N. and S., and 5 broad, E. and W. Pop. 98.

1860 History

The following is taken from the "Gazetteer of the State of New York; Embracing a Comprehensive View of the Geography, Geology, and General History of the State, and a complete History and Description of Every County, City, Town, Village, and Locality with Full Tables of Statistics," by J. H. French, Syracuse, N.Y.: Published by R. Pearsall Smith, 1860.  Transcribed by Marcia Buffett.

Gilman1 was formed from Wells, April 23, 1839. A part was annexed to Wells in 1858. It is an interior town, extending in a long, narrow strip near the east border of the county. Its surface is much broken by mountains and diversified by small lakes. Several of the highest peaks in the county are in the town; but their elevations have never been ascertained. It is the least populous town in the State. Gilman (post office) is in the south border. Most of the settlers are in the south part, a few only living on the extreme northern border, quite isolated from their fellow townsmen. Philip Rhinelander, a wealthy merchant of New York, began the first settlement.2


1. Named from John M. Gilman, an early settler, from New Hampshire.

2. Mr. Rhinelander cleared 300 acres for a stock farm, and built a costly mansion on Elm Lake, in Township 9, several miles distant from neighbors. He remained here until the death of his wife, in 1818 or 19 and soon after, being struck with paralysis was obliged to return to New York. The property, after repeated sales, is now owned by Dr. Elliott, an oculist of New York City. Gilman and his sons were the next settlers. John Carter, Andrew Morrison, Samuel Johnson, Jr.., William B. Peck, William Orcutt and others were early settlers. Mrs. Rhinelander was the first person that died. Susan Gilman taught the first school, in 1823. No inn has ever been licensed in town.


Last Updated: Wednesday, 14-May-2008 13:32:10 PDT
Copyright © 2000:  Martha Magill / Marcia Buffett