Generation No. 1
1. ELI RUDES was born April 1802 in Saratoga Co., NY, and died September 16, 1879. He married ELMIRA CLARK. Eli Rudes came early from Saratoga co. to the Town of Arietta settling first at Shaker Place down the road from Pisceo Lake. He moved to the present Higgins Bay (Spy Lake) area, purchasing his land on Jan 10, 1839 from A.K. Morehouse and an additional 100 acres in September of that year. The area became known as Rudeston. Burial: Higgins Bay, Cem., NY
Children of ELI RUDES and ELMIRA CLARK are:
2. i. JAMES MARTIN RUDES, b. March 13, 1834; d. July 2, 1911. 3. ii. DANIEL C. RUDES, b. 1827; d. 1910. 4. iii. WILLIAM HENRY RUDES, b. 1830. iv. LUCY ANN RUDES, b. 1837. 5. v. GEORGE T. RUDES, b. February 22, 1840; d. June 14, 1911.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES MARTIN RUDES (ELI1) was born March 13, 1834, and died July 2, 1911. He married PHILANDA SCHUYLER, daughter of WILLIAM SCHUYLER and BETSEY ORCUTT.
Children of JAMES RUDES and PHILANDA SCHUYLER are:
6. i. ESTELLA RUDES, b. Abt. 1863. ii. ALICE ELIZABETH RUDES, b. 1859. iii. HARRIET AUGESTA RUDES, b. 1866; m. JOHN HOREY, January 24, 1890.. iv. CHARLES RUDES, b. 1867. 7. v. WILLIAM RUDES, b. 1877.
3. DANIEL C. RUDES (ELI1) was born 1827, and died 1910. He married CHARLOTTE BUYCE. Lived near the Rudes family homestead at Rudeston, later Spy Lake Village near Higgins Bay, NY. He was a farmer and they operated a boarding house in 1880. Burial: Higgins Bay, Cem., NY.
Children of DANIEL RUDES and CHARLOTTE BUYCE are:
i. FRANKLIN P. RUDES, b. 1853; d. 1921. ii. JOHN H. RUDES, b. 1858; d. 1929. iii. ANNE M. RUDES, b. 1861. iv. HATTIE E. RUDES, b. 1868; d. 1907; m. EDWIN C. STACY.
Edwin Stacy was a lumberman who was born in Elizabethtown, NY, son of John and Adelia Stacy.
v. NANCY RUDES, b. November 2, 1868; d. December 15, 1868.
4. WILLIAM HENRY RUDES (ELI1) was born 1830. He married JANE COURTNEY. Dau. of John and Mary Courtney. Janes brother, Francis (1838) lived with them in 1860 as their mother had died and their father remarried. In 1870 an insane man Charles Peppe born in 1835 in Germany was kept by the family. In 1892, Daniel Rudes then 64 and a widower lived with them. In 1905 Henry Rudes 75 and Jane Courtney 69 were living with their dau. Nellie and her husband.
Children of WILLIAM RUDES and JANE COURTNEY are:
i. HARVEY RUDES, b. 1856. ii. MARY RUDES, b. 1863; m. JAMES E. HIGGINS. iii. WALTER RUDES, b. 1868.
5. GEORGE T. RUDES (ELI1) was born February 22, 1840, and died June 14, 1911. He married MARTHA J. ALDOUS Abt. 1860 in Camden, Mass.. Civil War Vet. He received a pension for a gunshot wound to the left arm. He was in the Second Regiment, 129th Co. Battery VRC.
Children of GEORGE RUDES and MARTHA ALDOUS are:
8. i. WILLIAM J. RUDES, b. November 16, 1861, Camden, Mass.; d. October 30, 1948, Lake Pleasant, NY. ii. LEWIS F. RUDES, b. December 9, 1867; d. June 2, 1917. iii. LYMNA H. RUDES, b. 1867; d. 1931. iv. CHARLOTTE N.RUDES, b. January 13, 1873; d. January 29, 1881. v. CHARLES M. RUDES, b. 1878. vi. GEORGE E. RUDES, b. December 3, 1879; d. January 16, 1881.
Generation No. 3
6. ESTELLA RUDES (JAMES MARTIN2, ELI1) was born Abt. 1863. She married (1) ROBERT J. WILSON. She married (2) ALANSON MOREY. She married (3) WILLIAM E. FOWLER Abt. 1881.
Notes for ESTELLA RUDES:
full name Ida Estella Rudes
Notes for ROBERT J. WILSON:
son of Joseph Wilson of Glasgow, Scotland, and Anna born in Canada
Notes for WILLIAM E. FOWLER:Children of ESTELLA RUDES and ROBERT WILSON are:
He moved to Piseco Lake, Township of Arietta, Hamilton Co., NY around 1881. He was an engineer at Shaw Bros. Tannery at Piseco and was killed when caught in the belting on March 26, 1889.
i. ALICE WILSON, b. August 30, 1895. ii. FRANKLIN WILSON, b. May 22, 1897. iii. JOHN G. WILSON, b. 1898; d. March 12, 1899, age 22 mos.. iv. MARY E. WILSON, b. 1900.
Children of ESTELLA RUDES and ALANSON MOREY are:
v. EDITH MOREY, b. August 16, 1904; m. ANSEL T. OLMSTEAD, November 27, 1921. vi. MILDRED MOREY, b. 1906; d. February 20, 1921, Mayfield, NY. vii. GEORGE MOREY, b. 1907. viii. ELIZABETH MOREY, b. July 1908.
Children of ESTELLA RUDES and WILLIAM FOWLER are:
ix. ARTHUR FOWLER, b. 1882; m. SUSAN BELLE WILLIAMS, October 5, 1910. x. LEWIS FOWLER, b. September 18, 1884, Piseco Lake, Arietta Twp., Hamilton Co., NY; d. February 7, 1951, Cooperstown, NY; m. MABLE CLARA SUITS, July 1, 1923.
Notes for LEWIS FOWLER:
Obit. Morning Herald, Gloversville, NY Feb 8, 1951 states that he was president of the Palatine Dyeing Co., Inc. of St. Johnsville. he was also assoc. with two knitting mills in Hudson and had business interests in Glens Falls. In 1921 He and a few others formed the Palatine Bridge Dyeing Co.. It was expanded to include a plant on North Division St. in St. Johnsville.
Notes for MABLE CLARA SUITS:
Dau. of Nicholas J. Suits of Amsterdam. Mabel and Lewis had no children.
xi. EDDIE FOWLER, b. 1885; d. 1887. xii. HARRY FOWLER, b. 1888.
7. WILLIAM RUDES (JAMES MARTIN2, ELI1) was born 1877. He married BERTHA BEESAUL. Bertha lived at Spy Lake.
Children of WILLIAM RUDES and BERTHA BEESAUL are:
i. WILLIAM CHESTER RUDES, b. 1901; m. HELEN HNERIETTA HIGGINS, June 17, 1932. ii. ARNOLD RUDES, b. 1904; m. ETTA GRACE ROGERS.
8. WILLIAM J. RUDES (GEORGE T.2, ELI1) was born November 16, 1861 in Camden, Mass., and died October 30, 1948 in Lake Pleasant, NY. He married ADELINE M. FISH, daughter of JOSEPH CALL and ADELINE FISH.
More About ADELINE M. FISH:
Burial: Fish Mt. Cem., NY
Child of WILLIAM RUDES and ADELINE FISH is:
i. GENEVIEVE RUDES, b. Abt. 1895; d. September 9, 1895. Burial Fish Mt. Cem.
Info submitted by: Marcia Buffett
Update From Annie Weaver
I looked at what you typed from the Town of Arietta Sesquicentennial book and Marcia Buffett's report on the Rudes family. I have some info to add to Marcia's report. I will list it below according to her numbers.
2. iii Harriet Augesta Rudes b. Sept 1867, married John Horey b. Aug 1863 d. Nov 1909
2. James Martin Rudes and Philanda Schuyler had 2 more children:
2. vi Emery Rudes 1875-1942
2. vii Gertrude b. 1883
3. i Franklin Rudes b. May 1853 buried Higgins Bay Cem.
3. ii John buried Higgins Bay Cem.
3. iv Hattie married Edwin Stacey 1856-1918
4. William Henry Rudes b. May 1830, d. June 29, 1914, married Jane Courtney b. June 22, 1835, d. July 22, 1905
4. ii Lewis buried Higgins Bay Cem.
4. iii Lymna buried Higgins Bay Cem.
4. iv Charlotte buried Higgins Bay Cem.
4. v Charles b. Sept 16, 1876, d. March 8, 1881 buried Higgins Bay Cem.
4. vi George buried Higgins Bay Cem.
6. Estella married Robert Wilson b. 1863, d. betw. 1900-1903, Married 2nd Alanson Morey b. 1882, married 3rd William Fowler d. March 26, 1889
6. viii Elizabeth Morey married Robert Stewart
6. ix Arthur m. Susan Williams b. 1889 and married in Northville NY
7. William Rudes b. March 1877, married Bertha Beesaw b. April 1878
7. i William Chester Rudes b. Sept 25, 1900 Mayfield NY, d. Feb 1970 m. Helen Henerietta Higgins , daughter of James Edward Higgins and Mary L. Rudes b. May 20, 1902 Piseco NY, d. Ded 2, 1991. Married in Wells NY. Both buried in Higgins Bay Cem.
7. ii Arnold 1903-1976, m. Etta Grace Rogers April 1899 Piseco - 1980, daughter of Charles Rogers and Rose Murphy. Married Adeline Melvina Fish daughter of Joseph Fish and Adeline Call. (Marcia had Joseph Call and Adeline Fish.)
Last Updated: Wednesday, 14-May-2008 13:17:39 PDT
Copyright © 2000: Marcia Buffett