Compiled by Lisa Slaski
These are NOT intended to be complete genealogies, but rather some genealogical gleanings from known sources, including information already online on this site.
Christian Buchelle was born about 1810 in Wurttemberg, Germany. In the 1860 census his wife is listed as "Cloes" (the closest we can decifer the spelling of her name) who was born about 1807 in Wurttemberg. In 1870 his wife is listed as "Barbee" born about 1817 in Germany. By 1880 he had married Anna Barbara Maheux who was the widow of Peter Maheux of Morehouse.
1. Albert Buchele, b. about 1828 in Wurttemberg, Germany.
2. Matice ("Mathias") Buchele, b. 31 Oct 1829 in Wurttemberg, Germany.
3. Alford W. Buchele, b. about 1834 in Wurttemberg, Germany.
The Wurttemberg Emigration Index includes:
Name Birth Date Birth Place Application Date Destination Number
Buchele, Christian & F Schlierbach Aug 1851 N.-Amer 598679
Buchele, Johann Georg 25 Nov 1838 Schlierbach Mar 1854 N.-Amer 598679
Buchele, Matthaeus 31 Oct 1829 Schlierbach Mar 1854 N.-Amer 598679
Woelflin, Albert Schlierbach Aug 1851 N.-Amer 598679
(Schlierbach, Donaukreis, Wurttemberg, Germany)
It is interesting to note that Albert Wolflen appears to be living in Morehouse in the 1880 census.
1. Albert Buchele was born about 1828 in Wurttemberg, Germany. He married Wilhelmina who was born about 1842 in Germany. They had at least the following children:
1.1. Cathrinne Buchele born about 1868 in NY
1.2. Christiona Buchele born about 1869 in NY
2. Mathias Buchele was born 31 Oct 1829 in Wurttemberg, Germany. He married Louisa J. (unknown surname) before 1870 and moved to Monticello, Jones County, IA about 1869 and then to Lincoln, Adair county, IA by 1880. Mathias died 4 Mar 1905 and is buried in Fairview cemetery in the town of Harrison, Adair County, IA (listed under Matthies Buckley). Louisa died 3 July 1879 at the age of 37 years, 6 months and is also buried at Fairview cemetery.
Civil War Service Record:
Enlisted: 11 Aug 1863, age 34, Co. H, 162nd NY Inf, Private
POW: 9 Apr 1864, Pleasant Hill, LA
Wounded: 9 Apr 1864, Pleasant Hill, LA
Returned: 27 May 1865
Mustered out with company 10 July 1865, New York, NY
Civil War Pension Record:
Matthias Buchele filed in Iowa: 17 Feb 1890, Appl. #755634, Cert. #845344, Co. H, 162nd NY Inf
Mathias and Louisa Buchele had at least the following children:
2.1. Rudoff Buchele was born about 1861 in NY
2.2. George Buchele was born about 1866 in NY
2.3. William Buchele was born about 1868 in NY
2.4. Minnie Buchele was born May 1870 in IA
2.5. Charles Buchele was born about 1873 in IA
2.6. Gertrude Buchele was born Jun 1878 in IA
1860, 1870, 1880, 1900 Morehouse, Hamilton Co., NY
- 1892 NYS Morehouse, Hamilton Co., NY
- 1870 Monticello, Jones Co., IA
- 1880 Lincoln, Adair Co., IA
- 1900 3rd ward Suart, Adair county, IA
- Fairview cemetery, town of Harrison, Adair county, IA - listing of graves
- Civil War Service and Pension Records
1. Francis Schreyer was born about 1798 in Switzerland. He first married Sophia [surname unknown], born about 1791 in France. It is not known at this time whether or not they had any children. He appears to have naturalized in NYC on 26 Sep 1840 in the Superior Court. He next married Magdalena [surname unknown], between 1850 and 1860. She was born Aug 1824 in France. Francis is listed as living on Road District 2 in 1845 town of Morehouse, Hamilton county, NY. He had died by 1880 and his widow was still living in the town of Morehouse with her son, Francis C. (Charles Francis).
Francis Schreyer and Magdelena had the following children:
1.1. Charles Francis Schreyer, born Aug 1858
1.2. Mary Josephine Schreyer, born 2 Feb 1862
1.3. Alexander Schreyer, born about 1866
1.1. Charles Francis Schreyer was born Aug 1858 and as an adult he went by the name Francis C. Schreyer. He was never married and was last living with his widowed sister in the 1930 census in the village of Cold Brook. He appears to be listed in Wilmurt, Herkimer county, NY in the 1896 directory as a laborer under the name Frank Schreyer. His sister's husband is also listed in Wilmurt in this directory.
1.2. Mary Josephine Schreyer was born 5 Feb 1862 and died 15 Jun 1952. She was married about 1880 to William Carl Fisher (born June 1850) and they lived much of their lives in Wilmurt, Herkimer county, NY. William is the son of Martin Fischer and Johannah Christina Margareta Gluckin who lived at Newkirk Mills, Fulton county, NY. William's sister, Henrietta, married John M. Richard of Wilmurt, Herkimer county, NY.
William Fisher and Mary Josephine Schreyer had no children.
1.3. Alexander Schreyer was born about 1866. He was married about 1886 to Bertha A Smith. Bertha was born Jun 1867 in NY.
Alexander Schreyer and Bertha had the following children:
1.3.1. Carrie E. Schreyer, born Dec 1887 in NY
1.3.2. Edna B. Schreyer, born Aug 1891 in NY
1.3.3. Arthur Raymond Schreyer, born 13 Jun 1894 in NY
1.3.4. Earl Dewey Schreyer, born 22 Apr 1899 in NY
There were apparently two other children who died young as in the 1900 census Bertha is listed as having had 6 children with only 4 surviving. In 1888, Alexander "Schuyler" is listed as a mail carrier in Norway and in the 1892 NYS census "Alexis" Schreyer is a stage driver still living in Norway with his wife and daughters Carrie and Edna. In the 1900 Federal census Alexander is a mail carrier in Fairfield, Herkimer county, NY. In the 1910 census he is a dairy farmer in Manheim, Herkimer county, NY.
1.3.1. Carrie E. Schreyer was born Dec 1887. She was married about 1900 to Leon Harter and they lived in the town of Herkimer, Herkimer county, NY.
Leon Harter and Carrie E. Schreyer had the following child:
18.104.22.168. Anna Harter, born about 1911 in NY who married Ralph Lewis about 1929. He was born about 1909.
1.3.2. Edna B. Schreyer was born Aug 1891 in Norway, Herkimer county, NY. She was married on 14 Apr 1909 to Ai Failing of Herkimer, NY the son of Norman Failing and Anna Getman. He was born 26 Nov 1883 in Fort Plain, Montgomery county, NY and died Dec 1976 with a last residence of Schenectady. In the 1930 census they are listed as residing in Schenectady, NY.
Ai Failing and Edna B. Schreyer had the following child:
22.214.171.124. Clyde Failing, born about 1910 in NY.
1.3.3. Arthur Raymond Schreyer was born 13 Jun 1894 in NY and died March 1978 with a last residence of Utica, Oneida county, NY. He was a veteran of WWI having served in Company M of the 107th Infantry as a mechanic.
1.3.4. Earl Dewey Schreyer was born 22 Apr 1899 in NY and died May 1975 with a last residence of Johnstown, Fulton county, NY. He was a veteran of WWI. In 1920 he was working in Herkimer as a setter in a gun factory.
1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 Federal Census, town of Morehouse, Hamilton county, NY
- 1892 NYS census, town of Norway, Herkimer county, NY
- 1900 Federal Census, towns of Fairfield and Wilmurt, Herkimer county, NY
- 1910 Federal Census, town of Manheim, Herkimer county, NY
- 1920, 1930 Federal Census, town of Herkimer, Herkimer county, NY
- 1930 Federal Census, Cold Brook village, Herkimer county, NY
- 1930 Federal Census, Ward 9 Schenectady, Schenectady, NY
- Social Security Death Index
- Herkimer County in the World War (book)
- History of Hamilton County, by Ted Aber and Stella King, 1965.
- History of the 107th Infantry, U.S.A., 1920 (unknown author)
- Family Verbal History from Joan Hanson a descendant of Martin Fischer and family researcher.
Last Updated: Sunday, 27-Sep-2009 18:44:55 PDT
Copyright © 2006: Joanne Murray / Lisa K. Slaski